Sunday, April 19, 2009

No More Haunted Mansion

Remember my morgue-like sewing room?

NO MORE FUNERAL PARLOR DRAPES!! WHOO HOOOOO!

Gee, it's about time, isn't it? I've only been staring at those horrible depressing drapes--courtesy of our home's previous owner--for ten years now. Yay! We now have nice white faux wood blinds, courtesy of our local Home Depot.

And did you notice the color? We painted, too! (Thanks for all your color suggestions on this post.) This was my inspiration palette:

Obviously, a color scheme selected by a perimenopausal woman living in Hawaii. Summer is so dang hot! I'd rather fantasize that I'm living atop that iceberg there.

Here were the iceberg-inspired swatches that I agonized over:

As you can see, icy, cool, ice cube colors. I had actually decided on "Tide Pools," which is on the card furthest to your left--middle swatch. But the day we purchased the paint, I forgot my paint swatches at home, and had to remember what color I had decided upon. The remembering part didn't go so well--I picked out a new group of aqua swatches and "Delicate Mist" looked and sounded more familiar, so I bought a gallon of that one. ("Delicate Mist" is the middle card, middle color.)

I remembered wrong. Oh well, it's kind of close. It looked closer under the lighting at Home Depot, anyway.

It's difficult to capture the color in this room! There is too much light to be able to see it very well.

We actually finished painting a couple weeks ago, but I didn't post pictures because I couldn't get good pictures of the paint color (I still can't). The window light burns out the camera, so the color is hard to photograph.


It's a very delicate color. I like it a lot. I think if it were any darker, I'd tire of it easily.



It feels very serene and peaceful in here atop my imaginary iceberg.



I picked up this sconce at my favorite thrift store. It's perfect for my knitting needles.



The light aqua is a little easier to see on this wall--but still, you don't see the whole large cumulative blue/green/gray space. It's a large room, so there is plenty of blue.



My sewing room will never be a "pretty" room. It's my work room. My quilt factory. I love my sewing table (ugly) and my machine-on-a-stick (12 feet of bare wood and sprinkler pipe), and all the yarn storage beneath. I suppose I could drape everything in fabric...but ugh...I'd rather be quilting. Besides, with all the bright natural light, decorator fabric fades in six months. Not worth it.

I like my room to be practical and rearrangeable. I also like to store my bulky, unattractive items so they are easy to get to. I think if I made it a really "pretty" room, I'd never want to get it messy!

I love my space. It feels very restful, without feeling very "Rest in Peace"-full, if you know what I mean.

37 comments:

Cathi said...

Your sewing room is fantastic!! I love how airy and open it looks and the colour of the walls? To me, it's perfect -- makes me think of nice, cool water.
The sconce to hold your knitting needles has to be the prettiest knitting needle holder I've ever seen!

Pat said...

I think it's terrific and those drapes DID have to go. I hope that blue monkey you showed resides in your blue room, too! :)

Allie said...

GORGEOUS. You don't need a lot of frippery in that room - I'd kill for those windows, lol! That must be an awesome space to create in. Love the sconce, what a clever idea!

Unknown said...

What a terrific space! I noticed the color right away. Definitely better without those drapes! Best of luck making lots of creative wonderful quilts, etc!

Nancy said...

Gorgeous color...and so much light. I have a small forth bedroom, but I am really happy to have that...

MichelleB said...

It's beautiful! Definitely a lovely, cool color. Love the sconce, too!

Joy said...

Gorgeous colour, oh I just love it!! Perfect with all that natural light coming in ... sooooo glad the drapes are gone ;o). Hey, I recently made a quilt that would look perfect in that room he he he.
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Denise (Nour) said...

Love the blinds! Way to go with the color too! That crocheted cat is so cute!

Unknown said...

Beautiful, cool color! I knew those drapeds weren't YOU!

Anonymous said...

I just have one question for you. What does it feel like to have a clean sewing room?

Andrea said...

Ok - so when would you like me to move in ? - lol ! Amazing room and I LOVE the little crocheted cat. Is the pattern available by any chance?

Anonymous said...

What wonderful space you have. I am wishing I had more as my sewing room is tiny. The room look wonderful! I was trying to figure out what was on the wall and there right below was the close-up of the sconce and needles. Clever idea.

Dionne said...

That paint job is wonderful~! What a beautiful, perfect room; it's light and practical!
Cheers,
Dionne

happy zombie said...

Oh Lisa... I love how it turned out! And cracking up over the the "funeral parlor drapes". I love your new blinds and you have me wanting to run to Home Depot.

And your darling "Rest in Peace"-full kitty has me wanting EVEN MORE NOW to learn how to knit!

anne from finland said...

Wow, how cool your sewingroom is now! Also the windows look so good now! You can certainly find your knitting needles, when they are in the scone. I think I never find my knitting needle box, when I need knitting needles. You have now such a lovely space, where to create. I am happy for you!

ilovebabyquilts said...

Looks much better! I didn't love those drapes, I have to say.

Carol E. said...

It is a fabulous room!! How nice to have all that space and all that light! I wouldn't ever leave a room like that.

susan said...

took you long enough girl! but it looks very restful and cool. how i miss all the natural light of hawaii. i remember doreen and caryl raving about it when they would visit and i didnt get it. now that i live in the northwoods i totally get it. we've gotten over 9" of snow already since last night...can you believe it? but i am very excited about my knitting class on wednesday...get to start the afghan for max...am making out of "super wash" cannot remember if it is wool or alpaca...duh. again your sewing space looks awesome! and i love the blue kitty. miss you

Acornbud said...

Lovely space! Okay where did you put your stash?

ladydi said...

I actually think it is a very pretty room! I love the cool aqua and white color combination. Do you hide the clutter before getting out the camera, or have you NO clutter? :>}

Esther Aliu said...

I love your peaceful and inspirational sewing room.
Good Luck with your creations!
Esther

SJ said...

I love the room. All those windows! I use a paint color called Beach Glass that looks sort of like yours. I've yet to get a true photo of it as it changes colors with the light. Sometimes it looks blue, sometimes, green.
I like your homemade quilting frame.

Salem Stitcher said...

Your sewing room looks great. Rest in Peace old window treatments.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

What a great room you have there Lisa. I love it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa....
The sewing room looks so good! Can't wait until our group gets together...looks like we need to have a "girl's day" together! Hmm....I think you need to show everyone your stash!!!

Cathie in UT said...

You have a terrific room and I wish I had one half as large! LOL
I love all the light and the color you chose is lovely and soothing

Enjoy your new and improved space!

Libby said...

I love your color choice - I'm usually one to shy away from blues, but this one is so cooling and restful.

Angie said...

Love the soft aqua blue with the white accents. Your new blinds really change the room and now you can control the lighting. Your thrift shop sconce and knitting needles is very whimsical! I'm not sure I could work in your neat looking space. I have to be surrounded by patterns, fabric, books and stuff. Your sewing space is great! 95 in Santa Rosa today. Hot!

Christine Thresh said...

I am going to keep my eyes out for a sconce for my knitting needles. That is so clever.
Your whole sewing area is marvelous and refreshing.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

It looks peaceful and serene, just as you describe... a lovely open space in which to create! I love the color.

susan said...

the super wash is 100% wool. i got the first block done today during class and then at quilt group. tomarrow morning i am going to see mary lynn again so she can teach me how to pick up stiches and cast onto the block. i am very excited about this project and it will keep me busy for awhile. i just got a postcard from jeni and she broke her leg?!! do you know what happened.

MarĂ­a Isabel said...

Hi , lovely sewingroom, is very beautiful, It´s perfect for inspiration of quilts. Excusme for my english, greetings from Uruguay
comeback your site.

Busy Little Quilter said...

I love your sewing space. It's beautiful.

I would love for my sewing space to be large enough for my friends when they come over to sew.

Julie said...

I love your "new" room, much prettier than it was.

Unknown said...

THe blue is so soft!!!! Very restfull in a room that will see so much activity!!! wise choice!

Mary said...

I love your sewing room. Does it always look so neat and tidy?

rozhearts said...

OH WOW..... If I had a craft space like that room I would never want to leave home. What a wonderful atmosphere to create in, I am sure you will spend many a happy hour there. Good luck.
(((HUGS))) Roz.